Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

So Long Kenickie

The iconic film, Grease, was a huge, huge, HUGE part of my childhood and I am more than a little sad to find out that Jeff Conaway, who played T-Bird Kenickie, has died. Sure he fell far from his days as the lovable greaser and became a caricature and stereotype, but for me, he will always be that smart-aleck, leather jacket-wearing T-Bird who got through the hard shell of the wise-cracking Rizzo.

Fave Kenickie Quotes

"A hickie from Kenickie is like a Hallmark card, when you only care enough to send the very best."

"The problem's in your mouth."

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Dingleberries on parade!"

"My 25 cent insurance policy." (His condom from 7th grade)

"You're cruisin' for a bruisin'."





















I grew up wanting to be a Pink Lady and used to play the part of Rizzo when my little friends and I would get together. I think my mouth and attitude fit the role quite nicely. I did sometimes take on the role of Frenchie when Deanna wanted to be Riz. And yes I still do know all the words to Beauty School Drop Out and There Are Worse Things I Could Do. However, now I only sing after sufficient alcohol has eliminated my inhibitions and dulled everyone's auditory senses.

Here's me with my friends, not the Pink Lady crew, unfortunately, but it will give you an idea of what I looked like and you can picture me with pink hair. It's a bit blurry, and I apologize, but this is a Polaroid from 1979 and I don't have Photoshop. I'm the one on the right, rockin' the mom jeans. LOL

12 comments:

  1. Its sad to hear these stories of people who seemingly have it all, yet have that massive void shoved deep down inside that they try to fill with drugs and alcohol. At least he had family and friends to support him along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Stephen It is sad when inner demons win out. He was so talented when he could remain sober. But his family and friends were there and in the end, that's the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very sad news that I just found out now from you. I too am a very huge fan of Grease. God was it that long ago?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Siv I couldn't believe it when I heard. Apparently the coma he lapsed into put him on life support and they shut off the machines today. Nor can I believe that Grease came out in 1978. I feel ancient. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of him before, but I did read yesterday that he died and that he was relatively young :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw that this morning - very sad. And never heard of Jeff Conaway...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twas kind of a shock to hear he died at only age 60. Very sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dez It was sad because he was not that old and his career just sort of stagnated after the 90's. He did leave his mark, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Alex When I read this, I got wistful, nostalgic and sad so I had to post. My young cousin had never heard of him either or at least she didn't recognize until I pointed out Kenickie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jamie It was very sad considering that he was not that old and that he had had such a rough go these last few years and became such a caricature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice and somber farewell tribute to a long-working actor. Interesting post, Melissa. And "The problem's in your mouth" and "You're crusin' for a bruisin'" are great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Matt I tried to do bit of justice to counter all the sensational posts out there. I really liked him and while he did end up a tragedy, he did leave behind some remarkable work.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.