Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Saint Sanguinus By Julia Phillips Smith

It's no secret that werewolves are my monsters, but I do love an awesome vampire tale. And how fitting that on the very day Mr. Sparkles and his insipid bride hit theaters, I am reviewing a truly dark, dangerous and true-to-the-blood-thirsty-core vampire tale.

Saint Sanguinus is by Julia Phillips Smith, a cool author who puts the monster back into vampire. It is the first of the Dark Ages Vampire trilogy and it is a hellagood start. Peredur is a Welsh warrior fighting Irish raiders when he is brutally cut down by a spear. Cursing God as he bleeds out, he is visited by a darkly compelling man who offers him a chance at another life. He takes it, knowing that something is very wrong, yet a new life, even one without his beloved Tanwen, will be better than no life at all.

So begins Peredur's initiation into The Brotherhood, an elite group of vampiric warriors charged with keeping the other vampires in check to prevent them from destroying humanity. He is determined to make the best of his new life, yet he cannot forget Tanwen.

This book is savagely beautiful with characters that tread a dark path. They are honest, flawed, yet sympathetic. Peredur is made a vampire not through some evil purpose, but because in a frightened, angry moment he grabbed a lifeline. Tanwen is a strong, courageous woman taking her life into her own hands, yet she remains an authentic product of her time.

The Dark Ages setting is one of the most beautiful things about this story. Phillips perfectly captures the social strictures, the superstitions as well as the danger and daily struggle for mere survival. She weaves a spell over her readers with her subtly brilliant dialogue and lush descriptions. I was right there in the cavern with Peredur and the Brotherhood. I could smell the forest, hear the crackle of the fires and oh my God can she write fight scenes in all their bloody, violent glory. Putting this one down was almost impossible and I so can't wait for the second installment.

To find out more about Julia and her work, visit her blog, A Piece of My Mind or visit her web site.

You can purchase Saint Sanguinus here.



Now, onto You Should Know Friday. Today's cool peep is Robyn Alana Engel from the absolutely hilarious and witty blog Life By Chocolate. Her trials and tribulations will make you laugh, cry and want to eat chocolate by the truck load. I just love visiting her and I know you will, too.

19 comments:

  1. You're so right about needing an antidote to Mr. Sparkles. This sounds like a vampire story I could really get into!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Deborah Hi! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)I think you will definitely love this story. It is so not the romantic vampire that is popular of late. It's dark and monstrous and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia rocks the dark ages. I love the sense of brother hood. Can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Renee Hi! Julia really does write the Dark Ages well. Check out her Scorpius tale on her blog. Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Sparkles - LOL!

    It's my pleasure to provide the antidote to Team Edward.

    Thank you for such a lovely review, Melissa. I'm now walking on air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems like your kind of book, Melsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO, sounds different. I love different :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, if I hadn't already wanted to read it I sure do now but I hope the book is also going to come out in print as I'm probably one of the few people who don't own a Kindle nor plan on ever doing so. What can I say? My cousin is a librarian and she'd kill me!

    Hopefully someday Julia's vampire will rule the silver screen even more than Mr. Sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The paperback edition should be available in a few weeks. I'll make an announcement on my website and blog as soon as it's up on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Julia I thought it was somehow fitting as your vampires are well, "real" vampires, monsters and well Edward is most definitely not. :)

    I'm so happy you liked my review so your are most welcome. Now I hope the sequel will be coming soon. Hint, hint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Dezz You know how I love my monsters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Kelley I think you will thoroughly enjoy this.:) Julia really brought the monster back to vampire and yet, put her own unique spin on the mythos at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Linda Hi! Don't feel alone, I don't own a Kindle either. :)

    I sure hope Peredur and the Brotherhood make it to thesilver screen, they'd kick Edward's butt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Sparkles: Freakin' awesome. Wish I'd thought of it. I'm all for monstrous monsters, so HUZZAH for this book! Thanks for spreading the word on some old school creatures of the night, MB!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa, this looks really good. Thanks for the review.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Craig I knew you'd appreciate the Mr. Sparkles comment. :) This is definitely a great story I think you'll like and I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Oregon Kathy, this book was really darkly beautiful. If like a bit of monster in your stories, you will enjoy this. Thanks for dropping by. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.