Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Monday News, Views And Other Things

Greetings Imaginarians, how was your weekend? Mine was good, but too hot and certainly too short, LOL. It seems like I just went to bed and it was Friday night. And now it's Monday morning. Yikes!

On Saturday, I did a Men in Black movie marathon with my oldest nephew. Since there were just the two, we threw in some Resident Evil and visited with Alice for a bit as well. I loved sharing MIB films as my faithful sidekick had never seen any of them before. It was like passing on a beloved treasure. It was awesome seeing him laugh his little butt off at Agents J and K as they took on aliens and saved our planet. Twice.  And when we were done with MIB, he went right to Alice for some Extinction and After Life. Needless to say we are anticipating the newest Resident Evil installment, Retribution.

Thank you all for commenting on my post on Friday. It seems, however, that my selection of Meryl for the actors list was in violation of the rules for the Ten Best Actors blog relay. Busted! I apologize to my friend Matt at FilmMattic, who  kept Meryl on the list. Sorry, Matt. Didn't mean to get you into trouble, too.

So, in compliance I changed my choice to Meryl's one time love, John Cazale, an actor I love, whose stellar career was cut short by cancer. He is best known as Fredo Corleone, but he did five feature films that were all nominated for Best Picture. You can read my update here.

You know someday, there will be no more separate, but equal terms differentiating the sexes. I can't wait to say so long to ridiculous, gender constraining words like actress, waitress, huntress. Screw the esses! Why aren't we simply actors, waiters, hunters? Why the add on? I never understood that and drove my English teachers nuts. Why are there so-called male and female words? Do these words have girls parts and boy  parts I don't know about? Okay, enough with the rant. I'm raising my blood pressure and haven't had my dose of caffeine, yet.

I'm giving a big shout and congrats to Christine Rains, whose story, Red, has been accepted for inclusion in Pill Hill Press' Daily Flash 2013: 365 Days of Flash Fiction. Rock on Christine! Make sure you also check author Gail M. Baugniet's blog. She has a very intriguing interview series called Fast Five in which she talks to some phenomenal writers.

In my own writing news, I should have my Battleship review up later today or tomorrow. I am also putting the finishing touches on  an article about the film Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter opening this Friday. 

Enjoy your Monday, my friends.

23 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of the MIB movies either. That's why I wasn't stoked about the third one and decided to skip it. Do you think I should check them all out? :)

    Resident Evil movies are hit or miss for me, but I must confess that I had so much fun with After Life and thought it was quite good, entertainment-wise.

    Did you like Battleship? I thought it was dumb fun with stunning CGI work. 100% guilty pleasure! :)

    I really want to see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I know it sounds ridiculous, but Bekmembetov does a wonderful job with the action in his movies and I'm sure this one will be no exception.

    Happy Monday, sweetheart!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sweetie! Yes, you should definitely give the MIB movies a shot. They are a whole lotta fun. ;)

      After Life really was excellent, hugely entertaining. I love all the movies, though some are better than others.

      I absolutely loved Battleship. Awesome guilty pleasure that had me cheering all the way. :)

      ALVH should be epic fun. I love the novel and the trailer so I have a feeling it's going to be great.

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Sorry Streep had to be pulled.
    I do hope women remain 'women' though, because I like women.
    Agree with George - Battleship was dumb fun. Top of the line B movie. Almost done reading Abraham Lincoln so can't wait for the movie this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad really as Meryl refers to herself as an actor and it is the Screen Actors Guild.

      Women will remain women. LOL Never fear. ;)

      Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is going to rock! And I'm glad you loved my Battleship review. It was a helluva lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. Now that's a lot of movies. Me, I watched a bunch of kids movies with the kids. I need to get out by myself this week and watch some guy flicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love movies and so does my nephew. Those id movies sound like they were fun. One of my faves is The Incredibles.

      I know what you mean about the guy flicks. There's only so much kid stuff I can take. LOL

      Delete
  4. it was too hot? I wonder who made it so for you Melsy :)
    We shall have 35*C whole week here, so I'm preparing for a meltdown too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I really wish it was a someone making my weekend hot. LOL I wish the meltdown could melt off a few more of these pounds. ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks Melissa for letting us know about Christine's story Red's, acceptance to be included in Pill Hill Press' Daily Flash 2013: 365 Days of Flash Fiction - that is awesome!
    I only just visited Christine, before coming here, so I will have to pop back and congratulate her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm really happy for Christine. She is brilliant.

      Delete
  6. Woo hoo! ALVH this weekend! I'm there, baby. HUGE Bekmambetov fan over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell to the yeah! I cannot wait for this movie. The book was incredible and yes, Timur rocks. Loved Night Watch.

      Delete
  7. Oh baby Melissa, two awesome reviews to look forward to! I gotta get my MIB3 review up. Congrats Christine Rains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIB3 was terrific. I love J and K so much. I can't wait to read your review.

      Delete
  8. Way to go, Mel. Why are you so obsessed with breaking rules? Haha, just kidding, sweetie :)

    You redeemed your rule-breaking instincts wonderfully by adding Mr. John Cazale. We both share a deep admiration for that man. He is one of the truly iconic thespians (yes, he deserves the title, thespian, not actor) of our history, not just the 1970's where he really dominated cinema.

    And do not fear. I was under no penalty from your little mishap :)

    Great job once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! You know me, rule breaker to the core. ;)

      John's work will stand out forever. I think younger generations should be made aware of just how incredibly gifted he was. I get wistful just thinking about what he could have accomplished with more time, but what a legacy he's left behind.

      I'm so glad you weren't busted too. I don't like to drag my homies down. ;)

      Delete
  9. I must have watched Matilda with the kiddo three times this weekend and then again today. Ugh. It's good, but not that good. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God do I know what you mean. Can we say Scooby Doo and Monster Island about 800 times? LOL

      Delete
  10. But Meryl is one who can portray an actor just as well as any man. Gender words drive me bonkers too, Melissa.

    Glad you enjoyed movie-nephew time.

    Be well.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High fives my sister! Down with those gender words. ;)

      Aren't nephews incredible? This one is my eldest nephew and since I used to live with him and his family, we grew quite close. He's my little sidekick, though he's just taller than me now. Didn't take long for that at my height. :)

      Delete
  11. I was totally with you on the inclusion of Ms. Streep - but I switched everything over to the iconic Mr. Cazale before posting, so all was well. Both incredible actors. Can you imagine the games of Charades at their place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr. Edwards! I'm very happy that you didn't get caught in the whole Mel-didn't-follow-the-rules broohaha.

      Sitting around with Meryl and John must have been a entertaining as all get out. Just to be around them and absorb some of that incredible creative energy. Wow!

      Delete
  12. I checked your Battleship and I loved it. Finally someone else who enjoyed this movie. Thought I'm the only one lol :)

    Excited to hear what you think of Abe Lincoln. Trailers and posters didn't convince me so far - I'm more interested in The Asylum's "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies" :D

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.