Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Monday, April 22, 2013

S Is For The Soska Sisters

Happy Monday Imaginarians! Welcome to week 4 of the Big A To Z. We are all just pushing through, keeping on and doing an incredible job. Be sure to visit my fellow powerhouse challengers by clicking on the top of my sidebar. I had a great weekend and finally, finally got to see Defiance. In a word: awesome. I loved the characters, the dynamic of this post-alien invasion, Old West style town. And it has Graham Greene, one of my all time favorite actors. I also saw The Sessions with Helen Hunt and John Hawkes. What an incredibly odd, but intriguing film. I can see why Hunt got her Oscar nom, but I think that Hawkes should have gotten one as well.

On with the show...

Today I'm spotlighting two ladies are who rapidly making a name for themselves in the testosterone fueled world of horror. Jen and Sylvia Soska aka The Twisted Twins, have taken the horror industry by storm with their debut flick Dead Hooker in a Trunk. The indie flick was produced for about $2500 and garnered some pretty good critical acclaim for its grindhouse style and wild energy. They count as one of their early influences, the incredible Robert Rodriguez, who is known for his stylish, over-the-top violent flicks like El Mariachi, Machete and Planet Terror. Dead Hooker was made following Rodriguez' advice, laid out in his book Revel Without A Crew. In an unexpected twist, Carlos Gallardo, star of El Mariachi, makes an appearance in the film as God.

Their second flick, American Mary, follows a medical student who gets caught up in the world of underground surgery. It stars one of my fave horror actresses, Katharine Isabelle. From all the buzz and awards it is receiving so far, it sounds like Jen and Sylvia have a certified hit on their hands.We will definitely be seeing a lot more of these ladies.

How was your weekend? See anything good


15 comments:

  1. Who says men are the only ones who can do horror?
    Knew you'd like Defiance. Here's hoping it doesn't go downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they identical twins? That would be even more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still haven't watched Defiance, but I'm encouraged knowing you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also watched DEFIANCE this Sunday, the first episode, and it was nice. Nothing too special (a bit too retro in costumes and makeup) but I loved the special effects and the sf element and Stahma is my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Defiance; looking forward to tonight's episode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Defiance is a keeper in my book and "Hooray Twins!" I always root for them in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curious about Defiance, good to hear it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of these ladies, but they do look a little creepy...yet sexy.

    I thought Defiance was great. Especially since it takes place here in St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of them, but probably wouldn't as I don't do the horror stuff. Glad you had such a great wkend, and right you are we are all pushing forward...
    A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't seen Defiance yet, but plan to check it out. I've heard good things....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep forgetting to watch Defiance. I'm not into horror flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Melissa,

    Thanks for the catch up yesterday, Sweets! I MISS YOU TOO! Not all that great down here, but trying to make the best of it. WILL be back around the seventh of May. Hopefully winter will be OVER in Chicago. I still see frighteningly low temps there. BRRRRRRRR. Enough with the cold already.

    These two ladies look fierce. I love the concept of twins in horror. TONS AND TONS of possibilities....

    ReplyDelete
  13. After seeing American Mary just a few weeks ago, I can't say much positive about the Soskas because IMO it's a flawed and extremely mediocre flick with an interesting concept badly developed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to see chicks rockin' the horror flick industry! Loved Katharine Isabelle in Ginger Snaps!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  15. Their movies sound interesting - though it's not a good sign that our mutual Austrian friend didn't care much for their second flick...

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.