Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

C Is For Marcy Carsey

Day  3 of the big A to Z and we are cruising. I've really been enjoying meeting so many new people and reading the various creative ways they have attacked this challenge. Don't forget to visit the other brillint challengers by clicking at the top right of my sidebar.

Television has been the one area  that seems to have produced the most opportunities for women to work behind the scenes and gain a toehold in the male dominated world of Hollywood. One of the most successful has been Marcy Carsey.

In 1974 she started work at ABC as a comedy programming executive. During her time there, she developed the seminal television sitcoms Soap, Happy Days and Mork and Mindy. In 1980, after her stint at ABC, Marcy went on to form Carsey Productions. In 1982 she was joined by her long-time collaborator, Tom Werner. Carsey-Werner Productions changed the landscape of television in the 1980's with The Cosby Show, A Different World and Roseanne. Their streak of success continued in the 90's  and 2000's with Grace Under Fire, 3rd Rock From the Sun and That 70's Show.

Marcy was recognized in 2000 by Women in Film with the Lucy Award for her excellence in creative innovation and changing the perception of women on television. Without her, a lot of today's strong female character would look a lot different. Marcy has given voice to many women who had been overlooked or made to fit unrealistic images.

Since it is Wednesday, it's also time for the Insecure Writers Support Group, of which I am a very proud member. We writers get together, thanks to Captain Ninja Alex and air our insecurities and encourage our fellow writers. This month I am having a very hard time making and keeping writing goals. I have so many things I want to accomplish this year that I am overwhelmed and as a result, have done nothing but scatter my energies. I am sunk, I swear. How do you all choose exactly what to focus on?


20 comments:

  1. The Carsey-Warner sitcoms were some of my all time favorites growing up.

    As for writing goals, I try the one step at a time approach. First A, then B. And I try not to worry about C and D until I get A and B out of the way. Sometimes it's more successful than others, but that's what I try to do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting post about an interesting writer! Good luck on this challenge ;-)
    I am at: http://ofglassandpaper.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The woman behind the Cosby Show!
    This is a difficult month to focus on anything with the Challenge in progress. But just think, when you reach the end of the month, it will be a confidence boost because you will have completed a goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of Casey-Werner and seen lots of the shows but didn't know anything about the creators. It's great that she advanced female characters so much and was recognised for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey was really involved in some successful shows. I still watch reruns of The 70s show.
    I feel a little overwhelmed at times also but I try to just take one thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the 80's were such a lovely decade for sitcoms and television!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She has been a part of some amazing television for sure, and deserves another award for successfully working with some talented and volatile performers. I also wonder if Married with Children was spoofing her when they married the neighbor and she became Marcy D'Arcy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally relate on the writing goals, I'm feeling the same way at the moment.
    Great to read about Marcy Carsey. Women like her are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Melissa,

    Sweets calm down... Take on ONE project at a time! That way you will not get overwhelmed ... Remember to BREATHE! And take a few moments a day to concentrate on YOU! Take a brisk walk around the corner just to clear your head... It dies do wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carsey-Warner Productions! I've seen those names a bunch of times, but now they have a whole new meaning Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Melissa I see that name all the time! Wow-I had no idea~

    You will feel different soon! It is the between time, April taunts and teases us, with weather that affects our moods. Hang in there and make a long list and number the top 5. Then pick the top 3. I'm scattered, too. I just took a walk and my head seems clearer! What does that inner voice say...where are you being lead?! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are lots of Carsey-Werner shows that I loved. I'm glad she was around. I know how you feel about scattered energies and too much to do this year. Hopefully, I'll get things under control soon, too! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came by for the IWSG and learned something. Interesting facts about Marcy Carsey. Focus di you say focus, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your A-Z theme, M. My general attitude is that I have to create my opportunities--they don't just come. But there's a reality that someone, somewhere, generally needs to give you a shot. So taking those chances and running with them is probably just as important, and these ladies embody that spirit, I think.

    When I get swamped, I usually try to focus in on one thing that I know I can accomplish if I give it my full attention. Then I do it. When it's done, if there's time for other stuff I move on. Choosing that one thing is tricky, but I can usually figure that out with a good old fashioned pro/con list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel scattered a lot lately, too.

    I used to work in TV, but nothing on the level Carsey did. Yay for women changing things up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carsey truly is a icon in tv! Some of very favorite sitcoms. Thank you for a great C!!
    Connie #133
    A to Z Challenge.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I choose my priorities. This month it's AZ!

    I tried to follow back from the comment you left on my blog http://damyantiwrites.wordpress.com. Had to google you up instead, cos there was no link. Please ensure you leave a link while commenting that leads Directly to your blog :)

    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never heard of her before, but I seen and loved a few of the TV series she produced, especially Roseanne and the Cosby Show.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who knows, maybe without her we wouldn't have so many strong female characters on telly?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved this woman's sitcoms and her ability to redefine "normal." Good choice for C!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.