Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

D Is For Bette Davis

We're moving right along with the A to Z, and I am loving all the themes this year. To visit more of my amazing fellow challengers, please click on the top right of my side bar.

I'm going back old school today with Miss Bette Davis. We are all very familiar with her filmography, and I know I'm spotlighting women who are lesser known, but I could not resist Ms. D. She was one wicked smart, badass lady. She knew the score with the studios, how actors were signed to these stifling contracts and loaned out to various projects whether they wanted to do the film or not. She tried unsuccessfully in 1936 to free herself from her contract, but her fight inspired other stars to try the same. Bette also continued to stand up for herself, going toe to toe with studio execs whenever they crossed the line with her. No one dared tread on Ms. Bette.

During the war years, she co-founded The Hollywood Canteen with Jules Stein and John Garfield. It was a place where servicemen could relax and enjoy good food, drinks and entertainment free of charge. She devoted a lot of time there and served as its president. She was an equal opportunity entertainer and performed as the only white member of an entertainment troupe formed by Hattie McDaniel and Lena Horne to entertain African American servicemen. For efforts on behalf of the troops, she was given the Distinguished Civilian Service Medal, the highest civilian honor from the Department of Defense.

She served as the first female president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the first woman to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute. She was also the first to receive ten Academy Award nominations. Between film, television and Broadway, Bette had more than 100 roles to her credit, always finding a way to succeed just when it appeared her career was at a standstill.  And she did the bulk of this as a single parent of three children.

I've always admired Bette and indeed my favorite performances by her come from Of Human Bondage All About Eve, What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. She always stood up for herself and was not afraid to be seen as a bitch. In an era when women were expected to conduct themselves in grace and silence, she roared like a lion.

30 comments:

  1. She was definitely noteworthy. There was even a song about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet no-one ever crossed her! She comes across like that in her films. I adored What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, probably the best film ever. And she did have beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bette Davis. I was just reading about her final screen appearance, in Larry Cohen's Wicked Stepmother. It's a fascinating story - which had Cohen taking the blame for Davis not finishing the film. Now Cohen is telling the whole story - and it's well worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in her later roles... there was some crazy acting... made her a legend in the horror industry... not horror, thriller.

    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host
    Oh No, Let's Go... Crazy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I find interesting (and now I do have the Kim Carnes "Betty Davis Eyes" song stuck in my head) is that someone else mentioned Bette Davis under her B two days ago. Made me smile both times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A song I still love to groove to. Rock on, Miss Bette! (And Ms. Carnes, of course.) :-)

      Delete
  6. it's interesting that she is one of those actresses that are huge and legendary in USA but totally unknown in Europe. I know tones of people like her in USA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is an icon of Old Hollywood. Loved her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! As a non-American I didn't know half of this stuff. Thanks!
    Happy A to Z! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing these tales of old Hollywood and, from what I've seen of Bette Davis, she seemed like the no nonsense type. A great lady, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bette Davis is a pillar of old Hollywood and true trailblazer, wonderful choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bette Davis is certainly an icon, for more reasons than one. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a big Bette Davis fan! A tough woman when she needed to be.

    Many years ago when I made a comment about not liking my small hometown: "I always thought my ambitions were too big for that small town" (or something similar), hubs said I sounded like Bette Davis, it was the type of comment she would make.

    I liked that. Nice D subject!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's one of the Classic Hollywood women I really admire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is an amazing woman and I love every film she starred in. I especially love, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane & All About Eve. Suddenly, I have an old 80's song stuck in my head, "...She's got Betty Davis Eyes."

    Congratulations, you won a $25 Amazon gift card on my blog. You answered two out three of the conspiracy questions, correctly. Please email me sugarlaw67@yahoo.com and give me the email that you want the card to come to. I can have it sent via snail mail, if you prefer. I'm sure you'd rather get it instantly, via email. We live in a world of instant access. My kids don't have a clue as to what life used to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bette Davis was one of a kind. She's missed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An amazing actress and very unconventional.

    Loving your theme this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melissa - that was outstanding - concise, but full of great information on one of my all time favourite Hollywood women. I loved her in What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?

    A noteworthy inclusion; I am tickled you had Bette as you "D" post! Awesome!

    Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  18. She definitely made some legendary films!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There will never be another like her. You could do an entire A to Z just on her. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bette Davis was brilliant. I love everything I've ever seen her in. What a fascinating woman.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A trailblazer! Although she could be a little scary sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. All About Eve is an amazing, amazing film! Bette Davis remains one of the most important actresses in film history, and I doubt she gave a performance more affecting than what she accomplished with that film. Another awesome selection, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ms. D. was great. I too love the movies you mentioned--my oh my what she could do with those eyes.
    Jagoda (fellow A-Zer at http://www.conflicttango.com)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't know a thing about Bette Davis before reading this post. She was a very interesting lady, I'm intrigued to watch some of her movies now.

    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Last night I watched Bette Davis in "The Corn is Green," on Turner classic movies. A stellar performance, had not seen it before. Those long takes make watching great acting so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving your theme - I'm learning a lot, and feel guilty that I didn't know some of these names. Well, I know Bette Davis (love The Corn is Green), but didn't know about her other 'jobs' and titles.

    ReplyDelete
  27. SHe has ALWAYS been one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE actresses....A TRUE CLASSIC!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.