Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Enter The Asylum...American Horror Story

It was a Wednesday night bloodbath around these parts. A mini Friday the 13th marathon topped off with the season two premiere of American Horror Story: Asylum. Yes!!! Okay, American Horror Story is just one of the most twisted, fiendish and diabolical shows on television. The premise of the show is outstanding, take one season and play out an unholy, horrific tale to the bone. It is so well-written, so disturbing that it gives me the creeps. Yes you read that right. Me, Mel B, badass bitch and horror fan, gets the creeps over this show. I mean after what happened in the first season, how can they possibly get any more vile? Let me count the ways...

Ahoy, Spoilers Ahead! It's The Big Breakdown

We open with a young couple Leo and Teresa, (played by Adam Levine and Jenna Dewan Tatum) heading into an abandoned Waverly Hills type of sanitarium called Briarcliff, for the express purpose of having sex. She's the horror fan who loves to get her freak on in haunted places. He's the supportive and loving husband wanting to accommodate his wife and film their encounters. That's right, they're married. Does the Sex Equals Death rule not apply? Things aren't looking good for the pair so far.

Flashback to 1964 and a young gas station attendant, Kit (Evan Peters), about to close up for the night. Perfect for a  serial killer, right? Wrong, Kit's friends show, wanting to take him out to rough some guy up. He declines and heads home to his wife. We find out he has secrets of his own and when he sees headlights, he grabs his rifle. You don't go for the gun if you're feeling safe and normal. He and his wife get attacked and as the lights come we flash to the sanitarium where a young reporter, Lily (Sarah Paulson) sneaking in on a cover story to get the scoop on a serial killer being brought in, a hell of a guy known as Bloody Face (think Ed Gein) He apparently enjoys torturing and decapitating women, then wearing their faces. Mmm...Tasty! Shock to the system, it's poor Kit who's accused of these horrific crimes. WTF?

Here at the asylum we meet the sadistic Sister Jude, played by the incredible Jessica Lange. She's the nun in charge who believes that mental illness is just a cover up for sin. Yeah, she's a nasty cocktail of religious Nazi.We have her underling, Sister Mary Eunice played by Lily Rabe, a woman who is frightened of her own shadow and willing to do anything to keep out of the way of Sister Jude's wrath. Jude apparently believes in corporal punishment and has a collection of fine spanking implements in a closet decorated with crosses. How perverted is that?

The main challenger for dominance at Briarcliff is Doctor Arthur Arden, a shaved bald James Cromwell. He believes in the torture and murder method of unlocking the secrets to the madness in his patients. Quick, sign me up for a session on his couch. Jude's pissed that she can't gainsay him because he's been appointed by Monsignor Tim (Joseph Fiennes), Jude's boss and secret crush.  So she sets her bitch, Mary, up to be ol' Doc's toady and report to her. He's got poor Mary hopping and sending her to dispose of bloody body parts out in the woods, where something eats human flesh. I tell you this show twists in on itself like strings of Christmas lights.

Spoilers Over! 

To say I am addicted is an understatement. I watched  last night like I watched all last season, cringing with a pillow in fascinated dread. This show is wicked and the only way it could possibly get better is by having Louise Fletcher make an appearance as Jude's Mother Superior. Nurse Ratched vs Sister Jude, the ultimate smackdown.  I would sell a kidney to see that. Hmmm...Dear Ryan Murphy... 

If you love horror at all, you must watch American Horror Story.Wednesday nights at 10, 9 Central on the F/X network for those of us stateside.

25 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this show!! I thought it was scary last year, but this year ... wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has amped up the terror big time. My heart was racing the entire episode. And high fives for being as addicted as I am. This show is one of the very best I've ever seen.

      Delete
  2. I missed it! But I'll catch the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to, have to, have to, see this, Alex. OMG was it good. Did I mention you should see this? :)

      Delete
  3. Last night's episode was quite good. I think the thing that created the deep scratches in the room being disinfected by Dr. "Mengele" might be the alien(s) that attacked Kit. It's interesting that the timeline is 1964. We have the start of the space race, Kennedy is president, and a lot of Americans being vocal about alien abduction (probably related to the space race). I think there is obviously more than one Bloody Face. The one that surprised the girl running through the old asylum halls at the end will not be the same one that was in the room (as there was no way out of that room). So what's in the room might very well be being fed by Bloody Face, or could be the animals that were eating the human flesh in the woods (if we can call them animals). I'm thinking that they are probably what's left of humans who have been vivisected, probably amputated, and lobotomized. I have so many questions...the show definitely pulls in several different directions which will be exciting to see the tale unfold. The strange chip that turned into a cockroach made me think that there probably is a genuine "alien" thing going on here making me suspect that the doctor may be an "alien." After all, aliens abduct people to experiment on them. What better role for an alien to play than in the role of a sanitarium's doctor. Oh and the priest is definitely in league with the evil doctor. He came to that dude's defense waaayy to fast. I think Jessica Lange's character is going to get effed over by the doctor and him about mid-season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night sure had me on the edge of my seat. I love the way this show is written so many twists. Monsignor did come to the doc's defense too quickly. It was like he was already prepared for Jude's objections. I love the idea of the doctor being an alien. It is the perfect cover.

      You're right there has to be more than one Bloody Face, unless he's a ghost like those in Season One. But that would be too convenient.

      Jude will most definitely be effed over. She'll probably end up on the good doctor's table.

      Delete
    2. The director said that there is not one single ghost in season two. He said this season they are keeping it real. So there has to be two.

      Delete
  4. I Dvr'd it but I have to wait until the weekend since I refuse to watch it after the sun goes down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I hear you, S.L. It is a creepy show that probably is best watched in the light of day.

      Delete
  5. I might have nightmares from that poster, Melsy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess you'll have to find Chris Evans and coax him to comfort you through the night. ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm a huge fan of the show. In my book, it's even better than The Walking Dead. So clever, well conceived, and sinister. I loved the first season and I have huge expectations for the second one.

    I just downloaded the pilot episode and I'm gonna check it out later on today. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love this season opener. It really is one of the very best shows on television. I can't wait to hear what you think of it. :) Have fun!

      Delete
  7. It doesn't take much to give me nightmares, so I guess I'd best stay away from this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understandable. I'm giving myself nightmares watching it, what does that say about me? :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I need to check it out! I loved the first season. This looks like a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Hart! If you loved the first season, you will really dig this second season.

      Delete
  9. That plot sounds rather intriguing, though many horror shows/movies are poorly written and just plain stupid. Would you agree?

    Needless to say, Melissa, there's a big difference between us: you're brave. I'm not. I'll have to pass, but I'm happy to read your posts (in broad daylight).

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge horror fan, Robyn. I love all the cheesy deliciousness of it all. LOL

      I'm glad you you enjoyed my post and braved it the light of day. There are some things that should never be discussed or watched in the dark. ;)

      Delete
  10. Dang, I missed it. Wednesdays? Will make a note for this coming week. I like twisted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If like twisted, Mary, then this one is most definitely up your alley. :) Can't wait to hear what you think.

      Delete
  11. I heart, heart, HEART AMH (and adore Evan Peters) and was SOOOOOO EXCITED when this season finally premiered! Lots of great shocks in this season opener.

    Funny, I didn't think Sr. Jude was aware that Sr. ME was helping that jerk doctor out, I had the impression that was happening on the downlow...

    As for Sr. Jude, I think Lange's brilliant at playing her complicated character - Jude's a bigot, a tyrant, and a steely bitch, but she also cares about her patients who've no one to come looking for them and I feel a lot of sympathy for her (thus far fruitless) crush. And girlfriend can rock a red negligee!!!!!
    Mina's Resurrection Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High fives for the AHS love! I love your assessment of Jude! I really cannot wait for the next episode. This show is definitely one of the best on TV. Evan Peters is adorable and such a great chameleon actor.

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of it (no! Don't throw books at me!)But I probably couldn't watch it anyway... I'm a giant coward :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Ravena! It's not a show that is for everyone. It does take a certain courage to watch this at night. :)

      Delete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.