Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

KC Kendricks...The Interview


Today I have superfantastic author KC Kendricks in the house and I am doing the happy dance. Cue the music! KC writes engaging, scintillating tales for Amber Allure. Some of her titles include The Back Stairs, Netting Neptune and one of my absolute faves, Shine A Light.

Good morning, Melissa! Thanks for inviting me to the Imaginarium today, and giving me the opportunity to talk a bit about my life and stories. I hope I don’t ramble on for too long. Here’s a little bit about me to get things going.

KC’s bio:

KC Kendricks makes her home in Maryland with her partner of almost twenty years. A 2008 Amber Heat Wave Winner, and a 2008 CAPA nominee, KC writes contemporary gay romances that while are adult in nature, celebrate love and hope for mature readers.
Living in a rural area, KC enjoys most outdoor activities except those that require sliding on snow or ice in the cold.

For more information about KC, visit her website at http://www.kckendricks.com, and her personal blog, Between the Keys, at http://kckendricks.blogspot.com . KC is new to Facebook, and you can find her button on the Between the Keys blog.
KC also has a mailing list to announce new releases. Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/betweenthekeys , or send an email to betweenthekeys-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

What was the inspiration behind your latest release?
Inspiration comes from so many different sources. I think it’s a gift - and maybe a wee bit of a curse when the ideas come too fast to get them all down. My latest release, Open Roads (http://amberquill.com/AmberAllure/OpenRoads.html), is the second set in the fictional town of Marionville. I like to do a little “world building” when I write, which translates into community building for contemporary works. The inspiration for the lead character, Tyler Phillips, came from a photo. Once he gave me his name, it was easy to give him everything he needed to be happy in Marionville, including Noel.

When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?
I don’t remember ever having an “aha” moment about writing. It sort of developed out of a lifelong love of books. My mom read to me when I was little, and I mean she read to me every night or I got surly. She taught me there is magic in a book. She’s still an avid reader.
Somewhere along life’s journey, I had this story develop in my head. It was my own little world and playground. When writers joke about the voices they hear, it’s not really a joke. It’s the story trying to get out. I finally wrote that story and the whole thing took off with me in tow.

What do you love most about being a writer?
I love it all! I love creating the characters, giving them a name and a purpose. I love tweaking a sentence to say exactly the right thing, be it to clarify an action or create a hint of mystery or angst. I love getting up early on a Saturday morning and having the words flow onto the page. I love meeting so many wonderful people who speak the same language I do. It’s the best gig I’ve ever had, and I live for the day I can do it full-time.

What genre haven’t you tried, yet, that you would love to explore?

That’s a tough question. I started out writing speculative fiction (it dates me but I still call it science fiction) under a different pen name, and became KC Kendricks because contemporary gay romance is a bit far removed from your standard het space opera. That grounding in SF is where my love of world building comes from. I’m still actively writing SF, in fact I have a story right now in need of a home and I must settle down and get it submitted. So I guess my answer to the question is I’m currently writing in the two areas of romance that I love – gay romance and sci-fi romance.

If we looked on your bookshelf right now, what are some of the titles we would find?
Encore Performances by Melissa Bradley, of course! (Thank you KC, you've made my month)You’d also find a range of titles from the late Andre Norton, Patricia Nell Warren (The Front Runner, Harlan’s Race), C.J. Cherryh (Chanur series), Anne McCaffrey (the Pern series), Clive Cussler (Dirk Pitt series), Diana Gabaldon (Outlander), J.D. Robb.

But if you look on my Kindle, you’ll find my collection of erotic romance, which is almost all I read these days. It’s several hundred titles small (and Maxie Briscoe is there!).

Music or silence when you write?
I like it quiet when I’m actually writing, but the moment I shut it down and get ready to log onto the Internet, I pick out some music.

If you could take one of your characters out on the town, who would it be and what would you do?
Out on the town, huh? I guess it would be Stacy James of Shining Victory and No One But You. He’s got a Corvette, a subdued yet wicked sense of humor, and he knows how to be a real gentleman when the situation calls for it. He’s got money. He’d pick me up in a hot car, insist on paying for dinner and the Broadway show of my choice. He’d take me home, come in for a nightcap, and since we’re both in a committed relationship, we’d say goodnight.

Favorite naughty dessert and decadent drink.
I love, love, love my cousin’s cheesecake, swirled and drizzled with dark chocolate, and she only makes them at Christmas. I’ve no clue what her base recipe is, and that’s probably a good thing. My favorite indulgent drink is Amaretto di Saronno Originale over crushed ice.

Again, a big thanks to you, Mel, for having me here today, and a big thanks to all the readers who stop by. It’s always great fun to be able “get out of the house” and visit.


Here is an excerpt from Tango in the Night, one of KC's bestselling tales for Amber Allure. It is awesome, if I do say so myself.

Buy It Now

Blurb

Jubal Graham is back on the job after a shooter took the life of his long-time partner, and sent him into a coma followed by months of rehab. Determined to have justice, Jubal is focused on finding a killer, not a new romantic entanglement. Ellis Banks, with his smoldering blue eyes and denim-clad swagger is a distraction Jubal can’t afford – or ignore.

Ellis Banks came to Philadelphia to bust a drug operation; one that connects to the same case agency legend Kentuckian Jubal Graham is working. Ellis finds himself drawn to Jubal, but Jubal holds him off. Sure that Jubal is interested, even though he wears his slain lover’s ring, Ellis mounts a determined siege.

Jubal’s surprise at having a suitor develops into a growing affection for Ellis, one clouded with old fears. Fate ripped one lover from his arms, and now Ellis is in the line of fire. Jubal’s courage can protect Ellis, but is it powerful enough to love him?

Excerpt

INTRO: (from Jubal’s point of view)

“I’ve got a lot of miles on me, Ellis. I feel old.”

Ellis’ gaze locked with mine. I knew that interested look, having been on the receiving end of it often enough in my life. It was nice to know I could still turn a head. He reached out and trailed his fingertips down my arm. “You want some help feeling young again, Jubal?”

I hated to disappoint him. He was a nice looking man, and I couldn’t deny my curiosity about him. But…I rebuffed him as gently as I knew how.

“Not with a co-worker, Ellis, even a handsome stud like you.”

Ellis didn’t blink. His chin lifted the slightest bit as those blue eyes saw straight through my act. A warm little glow sparked to life in my belly. I knew by the way he pressed his full, sexy lips together he knew. We stood there staring at each, the air between us sparking with a strange blue lightning. He tried, but he couldn’t keep the corner of his mouth from quirking up in a little smile.

“If you change your mind, Jubal, just say so.”

I nodded. Ellis pushed off from the counter and walked towards the door. I had one more thing I had to say to him.

“Ellis?”

He stopped and turned around.

“Yeah?”

“Nice ass.”

He laughed as the door closed behind him.

8 comments:

  1. Good morning, again, Melissa! Thank you so much for inviting me to have a spot at the Imaginarium. I love a good trip out of the writing cave to refresh my social skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KC! Thank you so much for coming. I appreciate it. You can refresh your social skills here anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder I like your stuff, KC. I see we share some fave authors and although we now write much different things and with our own style and voice, those beloved reads still color the writers we have become, I think. Keep up the great stories, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deirdre :) Liking some authors, such as Andre Norton, goes back to when I was a girl. I think it's only natural that my reading preferences expanded over the years. It's a great joy to find new authors I like, especially if they already have a series like Canine Cupids already avaialable and still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, KC. As you know, I love your m/m romances, so keep up the good work.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very interesting interview. I like to find out more about my favorite authors and KC is certainly one of the top ones! I have read all of her books and enjoy them all tremendously. Thank you for the always entertaining escape from the real world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris! I recently read your "On Days Like These" and enjoyed it. But I must confess I'm keeping an eye on the neighbor's chickens now. :)

    Thank you, Roxanne! It's great to hear from a fan. It really does make an author's day to know her work is appreciated, and it's doubly nice to have a reader take the time to post a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting interview, getting to know tidbits about an author is fun, especially when you see reflections of that author's tastes and habits in their writing. I wasn't sure at first that I would enjoy m/m erotica, but after reading KC Kendrick's books, I must admit I'm addicted. Even in these shorter stories/books, KC manages to flesh out the characters and their environments. And the romance is steamy, to say the least! Always a riveting read. Thanks for sharing today, KC Kendricks.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.