Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Checking In And I Finally Saw Brave

Thank you all for sticking with me while I am on deadline. I'm nearly finished so...Yay! Thanks, too, for all the wonderful comments you left last week on the awesome Girls Kick Ass Says So On the T-Shirt post from my super cool friend Mind of Mine. I appreciate your thoughts very much.

Funny enough, in keeping with that theme, I was taking a chill from my frantic writing/editing pace and had the opportunity to at long last see Brave. Now that all 5 billion of the rest you have, LOL.

Wow, was I ever disappointed. I was so disappointed that I could not concentrate on anything til I got this out. Not disappointed in the animation, that was spectacular. In fact, it blew me away, but just like with Avatar, it was glitter to try and distract me from the utter dreckitude that was the story.

On a side rant, what was with the butt cheeks and the extra bouncy breasts on the housekeeper? Not to mention Bear Cub Brother's swan dive into Cleavage Town... Yikes!

Back to my point. We finally, finally get a girl hero from Pixar and they make it into a stereotypical chick "adventure" and I use that term very loosely. There really was no adventure here. It all comes down to a witch's spell and Merida's bitchy 'tude with her mommy. All because of what essentially amounts to a boy problem. So she didn't want to get married, boo hoo... BFD. She still wore a dress, the central villain is still a witch and her problem is hardly the ultimate destruction of her way of life. Pixar really suckered me in with that "Change your fate" line. Thank God I only paid $1.30 at the Red Box but even so I want my money back.

Mulan had it all over Merida in the bravery department as far as I'm concerned. I wanted, nay expected a girl kicking ass just like the boys, saving her kingdom,  facing dragons, monsters and warlords hellbent on destruction. Not witches and curses. Or God help me, bears. Why is it we women always get to face evil forest creatures? Are you effing kidding me? Next thing you know there'll be a Brave Part Deux with Merida running up against an evil Bambi. Honestly, fellas, we women are your absolute equals in every way so quit giving us such weak stories when it's our turn to grab some glory. They're BORING. As to the women who had a part in this, shame on you for not representing.

I know some of you out there are like "Geez Mel, it's a cartoon, what's with the attitude? Can't you ever just turn off your feminist and enjoy something?" No, I can't. Pixar had an opportunity with Brave to break new ground and they didn't. They trod right over the same tired territory and spent more time making Merida's hair look great than they did on actual plot. I'm not encouraging my friends to buy their daughters a Brave anything from Disney. Merida is really a glass ceiling hero. We'll let you do some badass things like be an expert archer, but you still have to wear the dress and save yourself from a witch. No warlords for you, you're a girl. And of course we must always make sure that the theme of mother daughter relationships is front and center because we all know girls never have relationships with their fathers.

Okay rant over, I'm going to finish my story and enjoy some Bears football. LOL

39 comments:

  1. Lackluster reviews are what kept me from seeing this in the theater. When it arrives from NetFlix, I'll lower my expectations even further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wished this would have turned out so very different, Alex. I could not get over how cliched everything ended up being. Man, I was so upset with this movie.

      Delete
  2. I haven't talked to anyone whose seen it and I'm upset that they failed at what they claimed to be out to do. My daughter and I really wanted to see this together because of the lead female character. Really things like Beauty and the Beast were a horror for a young female. I used that film to teach her how books and movies condition women into thinking that "love and romance: can turn a bad man into a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High fives on Beauty and the Beast! Fairytales like that have ruined girls. It's insidious how they start conditioning us from the cradle to accept that love wins everything and it's up to women to provide that love. Ooh now I want to rant on that story too. ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow. I love that you cut filmmakers no slack when they bait and switch with the promise of forward thinking but the actuality of the same ol' nonsense. Don't let cartoons off the hook - that's the start of most people encountering pop culture when they're kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We start with the cartoons and the idea is already planted in the kids' minds. Girls can only face other girls, witches, etc. Why? Why aren't we knights of the realm rescuing the prince? And women for the most part accept this because we are conditioned to see things like traditional roles. Brave would have been better if they'd have made Fergus a single father or Eleanor the ruling queen with Merida having to defeat an actual strong enemy with brute physical strength.

      Delete
  4. I'll be honest I was pretty letdown on the first viewing as well, expecting more from Pixar but on second viewing I was able to enjoy it more. Still it's not what it could have been, they played it way too safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely too safe. I wish they would have pushed the envelope instead of going with this safe, tired story.

      Delete
  5. such a feminist manifesto, Melsy :PPPP
    "dreckitude" now there's a lovely new word for moi :PPP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! Power to the female. And yes, dreckitude is a wonderful word. ;))

      Delete
  6. I thought it was quite a departure from the norm by Pixar. More a film for mothers and daughters. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! It wasn't a departure enough for me. I felt like I was watching them retread the same square foot of playing field. I agree, it is a nice story for mothers and daughters, but there is so much more to us than mother daughter relationships. I wished Pixar would have seen that.

      Delete
  7. That's too bad! I haven't seen this yet, but I was excited to. It's too bad when something can have such promise, yet not meet up to the full expectations... come on, writers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan! Yeah, I really was struck by how unoriginal this story was. They made such a big deal out of making a Pixar film especially for girls and they go and play it safer than a life jacket in a bathtub. Talk about bad news...:)

      Delete
  8. Bummer; this is on my to be seen list. I wasn't impressed with the previews, but I'm not much into animation anyway. I'm sure I will watch it sometime with my grandkids though. I think I was this disappointed with the movie Hannah too.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This had been on my To See list as well. I hate being so disappointed by something I was really looking forward to seeing. My nephews enjoyed it, though.

      Delete
  9. That's sounds lousy. Sorry to hear it was such a major disappointment.

    On a happier note, you made my list of top 20 funniest comments on my blog - today. And thanks for your support of my book.

    love ya,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome about the list. Thank you so so much! I wish you tons of success with you book, my friend, it looks absolutely amazing.

      Hugs my sister :)

      Delete
  10. So far, I've seen 4 Pixar movies: Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille and best of all, the gorgeous Up. The trailers for Brave looked fun but somewhat uninteresting, so I decided to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are good ones, except Ratatouille. Just could not get into a rat in the kitchen LOL Be glad you skipped Brave. I wish I could say the same thing. ;)

      Delete
  11. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it. I got a kick out of it, but it might be because it's a bit more 'local' than the other Pixar movies :)

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave had its moments, for sure. I thought there were several interesting moments and I loved the Scottish setting as well. :)

      Delete
  12. I haven't seen Brave but I soooo agree with you! About Avatar too. I hear people raving about it and I'm thinking, What?

    I laughed hard at your reference to Bambi, as I put a cartoon of Bambi as a Zombi on my FB page a few days ago...it brought Bambi into a whole new light. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on the Avatar! Most of my friends think I'm nuts as they thought it was the greatest film ever.

      Bambi as Zombi...I could get with that LOL

      Delete
  13. I haven't seen Brave but I'm annoyed about it just from reading your review. I can't turn off my feminist either!

    Sorry the Bears lost yesterday and good luck meeting your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know why we should have to turn off our anything in order to enjoy a film. I think guys just say that so they don't have to admit that women get a raw deal all the time. ;)

      And thanks about the Bears 12 and 4 I say...trying to put a positive spin on defeat. LOL

      Delete
  14. Well, I probably wouldn't watch it anyway, but now I won't bother. Thanks so much for stopping by to see me yesterday, I have missed you lots, and can see that you have been super busy too. Happy for you about ND!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you, too Kathy! Deadlines are so stressful, Ugh!

      Aww.. thanks! I am soooo excited about the Irish I can't even stand myself. :)

      Delete
  15. We watched over the holiday. It wasn't at all what I expected either. I was hoping for some real women are people too kinda storyline, but they did wimp out. In a big, big way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally a cop out on this one. Boo on Pixar for suckering us with all of this Change Your Fate stuff. I wanted so much more from this, guess maybe I had my expectations too high.

      Delete
  16. Oddly enough Melissa I guessed all this without ever seeing the film. Which is why I wasn't planning to watch it. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Maurice! I was colored by expectations and missed all the big clues about this film and how bad it would be. You are lucky to have skipped this one for sure.

      Delete
  17. My daughter thought the movie was OK. She didn't talk about the film or anything afterwards, which is usually a sign.

    I did like the message the movie had about kids taking their parents for granted. Other than that, the movie kinda sucked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's too bad that this is the kind of message that only gets talked about in a girl adventure. I had such high hopes for this one, I guess that's why I was so disappointed. I had the bar too high in my mind.

      I feel bad that your daughter was disappointed. There should have been more to get girls excited. The trailer really built this up.

      Delete
  18. Hi Melissa,
    This makes me sad~ I haven't seen it, yet.
    I was hoping daughter n' I could watch it.
    Damn, I loved Mulan...
    They went back to their traditional formula-shame on them!

    I am glad I read your review-I wondered.
    Thank you for telling it, like it is ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't Mulan amazing? Such adventure and all the swordfighting she had to learn, too.

      Yeah they hugely disappointed by going back to tradition. It's time to change that. :)

      I'm so happy you enjoyed my review. Hugs!

      Delete
  19. "spent more time making Merida's hair look great than they did on actual plot." - lol, so true. Anyway, whether cliched or not, I enjoyed it for what it was. It was a bit too "light-weighted" compared to most Pixar flicks, but that didn't ruin the experience for me.

    The Incredibles still remains my personal Pixar favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love The Incredibles! Toy Story is still my fave, though. :)

      Glad you enjoyed my review and got a laugh, hon. It was too light-hearted for Pixar's normal fair. I mean just look at the seriousness of The Incredibles underlying story or even Up. Shame on them LOL

      Delete
  20. I was disappointed with the cheap physical humor too. Pixar's weakest? Certainly the one with the least heart.

    Time to check out Spirited Away, Nausicaa and Kiki's Delivery Service for real heroines.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.