Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Author Clare Dargin


Hi, Hello and Happy Hump Day Imaginarians! I am completely excited because sci fi, fantasy and romance author, Clare Dargin, has dropped in to visit today. Her current release is Speculative Sky from Red Rose Publishing.

What was the inspiration behind your latest release?

Well, ever since I was a child I always wanted to be a writer. It was a dream of mine to be published and to write stories that everyone could enjoy. Speculative Sky was created because I’ve always had a fascination with stories about Extra-Terrestrial Life and S.E.T.I. and I wanted to integrate such a story with a female character as a strong and intelligent lead.

And how did you come up with the title?

To be honest I’ve always been attracted and fascinated by the abstract and the symbolic. I wanted the title to be symbolic of what April Mullen, the main character, has to deal with as an Astronomer and all that came with her assignment.

What is Speculative Sky about?

It is about a woman who takes a chance and leaves for an assignment on a science colony far away from Earth. As an astronomer it is her job to monitor the stars at night and to record her findings. Nothing more than that. But when she arrives, she notices that her new home is a bit odd, and that though there is evidence of life out there… they don’t want her to either acknowledge it or do anything about it. She of course finds this troubling.

What books have most influenced you?

To be honest, in fiction category, it would have to be the old Star Wars books that came out in the eighties after Return of the Jedi. The expanded universe books taught me more about atmospheric and expanded universe development then any book I know! I read them over and over again and learned about non-human creature development, planetary science fiction and description of space travel and not to mention how to write a cool leading man. I still read them!

If we looked on your bookshelf right now, what are some of the titles we would find?

I am almost finished with Book of the Dead with Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I'll be going through their back list very soon in order to get caught up.

When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

As a child my father use to encourage it. I use to write stories for my family and give it to them and they would say “Maybe one day you could get this published!” I was like five.... and then when I was in middle school I found out that S. E. Hinton had been published at sixteen-- I became truly determined then.

What are your current projects?

Presently I am finishing up the final editing for Ice and Peace the sequel to Cold Warriors. As well as having another expanded universe book in the works. Not to mention, two futuristic romances that are completely different from my military fiction.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Don't give up on being published! Try every avenue! There is away for you!

Clare's latest release Speculative Sky is available at Red Rose Publishing. Click here to purchase.

You can find out more about Clare and her writing at her website, The Haven.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining me today, Clare. Speculative Sky sounds quite intriguing. I will definitely be picking up a copy ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, wishing all the luck with the success of this book which I'm sure it will be.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.