Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Author Spotlight: Xavier Axelson

It's a killer Friday, Imaginarians. I have the privilege of having the brilliantly talented author, Xavier Axelson in the house today. What a cool cat he is, writing psychological horror and erotica. I just started reading him and I am hooked like a diabetic at a candy convention.

Tell us about the inspiration behind your latest release, Lily.

Lily is based on a true story about a young girl who was dragged off her swing set by a coyote and into the woods. In Southern California, we are encroaching on the coyote’s habitat, which has led the animals to wander into our yards and get into trouble. Obviously, I’ve changed the coyote into a wolf and have attempted to explore the horrors a parent must go through when something horrific like this happens.


What started you down the path of writing? Any particular favorite authors you'd love to share?

I’ve always been a writer, I grew up in a house where my love of reading was always encouraged, so I think that had something to do with my pursuit of writing. I love to read and there are so many authors I enjoy. Right now, I love vintage British Fiction published in the 40’s and 50’s.

What was the biggest surprise for you on the business end of being published?

The biggest surprise was discovering no one really cares about your work as much as you do, and that means I have to be vigilant when it comes to my promotion, advertising, etc.

I read that you like to cook, what are some of your other passions and pursuits?

I do love to cook and eat! I also love nature; the desert, the beach and road trips. I’m also an art lover and am fascinated with all kinds of design; fashion, architecture and curiosities.

What was the best writing advice you received and would gladly give to a room full of aspiring authors?

There is a book called, Making a Literary Life by Carolyn See and every word in it is worthy of speaking to a room full of writers; aspiring and otherwise. When I led a writers group of mostly college students I would tell them, “be generous with your readers, don’t rush it, don’t fake it and ignore what other people are doing. Just do you.”

I think that is some pretty increible advice. I'm going to have to get this book. Thank you so much Xavier, for stopping by. You can find out more about Xavier and his incredible stories by going to his website, following him on Facebook, his Twitter page or visiting him at his Examiner page.

Here's a look at Lily, Xavier's latest. It's a wrenching story that I could not put down.

Buy Link

Book Trailer

Blurb

When Pryor's daughter Lily is taken by a wolf, Pryor is convinced she has turned into the creature he sees lurking in his woods. He swears she promises to return to him. But is it his despair and desperation making him see things or is there something more lurking in the shadows of the forest? When he meets Ned, a silversmith who helps him with a plan to bring his daughter back into his life, he begins to live again. But can his newfound love help ease the horror that may be waiting? What if the ultimate horror isn’t when Lily was taken but it’s when Lily returns and he realizes his nightmare has only just begun...

Excerpt

I am Lily's father, my name is Pryor. It was a year ago last Father's Day when she was taken from me. I still believe being Lily's father is the most important thing in this world.

Unfortunately, my daughter dwells in another world.
* * * * *
I glanced at the necklace. Ned's pressed close to me, but the necklace I hoped would bring Lily back to me felt closer. Ned was soft in his sleep; not the bull of a man he was when he's awake. I loved him soft and I loved him hard. It was his hardness that grounded me, that brought me in from the darkness. The necklace caught the light of the fading moon and I wondered where Lily was tonight.

The old clock on the nightstand hummed quietly; its vintage florescent glow a pale mockery of the necklace that lay beside it and yet I heard the clock, it won in that department. Time always does.

Ned moved against me, I could feel his arms pull me close, felt the bulge of his muscles, his arms thick and powerful. He had never loved a man before me. I had only loved Lily. Once she changed, I had little left to love; in fact, I was certain love had disappeared from my life all together.

The clock still hummed, never quiet; it's old and made noise as if time itself wanted us all to know that it was passing and with each minute Lily fell farther and farther into the darkness. The tears came then and at the same time Ned's cock pushed more firmly against my back. He grumbled, pulled me even tighter so that I could truly feel his penis--not hard, not entirely soft--on the edge of wanting. A tear fell and I gasped a little. Seeing the necklace; hearing the clock, feeling Ned's cock, his muscles, I fell away into him and closed my eyes.

"Why aren't you sleeping?"

"I was," I replied softly.

"No you weren't," his voice was sleepy; distant and yet he knew things, he knew I was awake, thinking about my lost daughter.

"It's Father's Day," I answered, skipping over my lie. "Do you think she will come?" I felt him nod and nodded in return against my pillow. Another tear fell.

18 comments:

  1. Very entertaining interview, hon. Xavier seems like a great guys and a very talented author at the same time. :)

    "I am hooked like a diabetic at a candy convention." - LOL, loved that line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The biggest surprise was discovering no one really cares about your work as much as you do"
    that is so very true. If you want some business done, you always have to do it yourself... especially in publishing ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "hooked like a diabetic at a candy convention..." ha.

    Also loved this: "The biggest surprise was discovering no one really cares about your work as much as you do"

    A great interview. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't surprised no one else cared as much, but it's certainly true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nebular Thank you, sweetie. Xavier's books are amazing. I just finished Lily and wow!

    LOL I'm so happy you loved my little description. It seemed apprpriate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Dex You are absolutely right. No one else in this business is going to push your product or believe in it more than your own self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @M.J. You're so welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. Xavier is very intersting author and it was fun to have him here.

    Glad you liked the diabetic line. :)

    And yes, it is too true about no one caring about your work more than you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alex Those are some wise words about the writing business. No one else believes in you more than you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for having me Melissa, I'm glad you liked Lily and thanks to everyone who commented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Xavier I'm so happy you were here. Lily was an amazing story and I have to get your others now. I wish you tons of success and look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool interview! When are you takin' your act to The View, Mel!

    And Xavier seems very promising. I particularly liked his answer to "best advice" question.

    Great job from both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Matt Why thank you! Couldn't you just see me up there by Whoopi? LOL I think I would definately add a different spark to mix.

    Xavier is great isn't he? That answer on the advice was brilliant. I have to go and get that book, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview! Good words of advice - terrific post, Melly B!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview you two! Nice to meet you Xavier; your books sounds intriguing~ I love the line Just do you; great advice!

    Melissa, love the line regarding being diabetic, ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Craig Thank you, my friend! Happy to know you enjoyed the interview. Xavier's a great writer and I am definitely checking out the See book. It sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ella Thank you so much! "Just Do You" are three little words that really make a huge impact. Glad you liked our little interview. It was a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! I grew up in Southern California and I can remember seeing coyotes behind my friend's house in Laguna Hills, this was eons ago of course. And now, I have another book to add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Andi So happy you liked the interview, thanks! We have coyotes around here in Chicago and it's scary how close some of the houdes are to their habitats.

    You'll love this story, it was a very powerful read.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.