Thursday, April 21, 2011
N Is For...
N Is For...Night of the Living Dead
I love, love me the zombie films and this is the big granddaddy of them all. There's been so much written about it that I could not possibly add anything new, but here are some choice tidbits that I find interesting.
1. It was made for for approximately $114,000
2. The blood is Bosco Chocolate syrup
3. The flesh is roasted ham and entrails donated by a cast member who owned a chain of butcher shops.
4. The costumes were second hand clothes donated by the cast and purchases from Goodwill.
5. The Cooper family hiding the basement was played by real-life father and daughter Karl Hardman and Kyra Schon.
6. One publicity stunt for the film included an offer of a $50,000 insurance policy against anyone dying of a heart attack while watching.
7. The music used is stock music from the film Teenagers from Outer Space.
8. F/X master Tom Savini was hired to the do the makeup effects but was called up to Vietnam. Karl Hardman (Harry Cooper) and Marilyn Eastman (Helen Cooper)did the make up instead.
9. When this was released, there was was no MPAA rating system in place, so many a little kid got the shock of their young lives.