Insecure Writers Support Group, an amazing group that helps all writers with our fears, triumphs and general insecurities, etc.
I have a laundry list, but today I'm going to rant a bit. I'm feeling feisty. I write erotica and here are some things I've been asked, discovered through research and what people assume. It used to give me a complex. I was so bad I was embarrassed to talk about my work.
1. If it can remotely be used in a sexual way, someone will try it. Cue hand drills. Yes, you read that right and it all has to do with being able to attach different things.
2. I do not know which fruit flavor tastes better with body fluids. Strawberry, peach...Yeah no. But thanks for your question, please buy my book.
3. I am perfectly aware of what is in the Bible and no, I don't believe I'm going to hell. Have you read Song of Solomon?
4. No, erotica writer is not a synonym for porn star or slut.
5. Yes, my mother knows what I write. She encourages me.
6. There is nothing on this Earth that does not turn someone on at some point. Cue bug crushing. Something to do with stiletto heels.
I love what I write and people are always going to have a problem with it. Hey, to each their own. My experience has taught me that all people have their personal fetishes. No matter how much they may deny and protest. Trust me. Think on that the next time you're at a PTA meeting or at Church. So I don't let the haters in my head anymore. Write what you love, be proud and you will get where you need to be.
I know this has been a very strange encouragement post, but that is how my mind works sometimes. Please visit my fellow IWSG ers if you can. They are amazing and would love to hear from you.