Welcome

Come on and join author Melissa Bradley as she sets off on her latest adventure...

WARNING

If you are not 18, please exit stage left. While there is normally nothing naughty here, I do write and review erotica so there are links to spicy stuff and the occasional heated excerpt.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

V Is For Lila Meade Valentine

It's V Day! And before I get rolling, I want to take some time to mention an incredibly awesome giveaway my friend and super co-host of the Big A to Z, Alex J. Cavanaugh, is having at his site. For reaching the tremendous 1500 followers mark, he is giving away a copy of his incredible books CassaStar and CassaFire to the public or high school library of the winner's choice. Isn't that awesome? So go there right now and leave a comment for a chance to give the library of your choice these awesome books. You rock, Alex! Congratulations and here's to 1500 more. :)

V is for Lila Meade Valentine. She was a suffragette and campaigned actively for not only women's rights, but for better public health standards and improvement of public education. Lila co-founded the Richmond Education Association with Mary Cook. This organization worked to set up kindergartens as well as occupational training within the Richmond Public School System.

Lila's main passion was women having the vote. She was very active in the National Women's Suffrage Association and also  founded the Equal Suffrage League of Virginia in 1909. She was chosen as one of its first presidents as well. After the 19th Amendment was ratified, the ESL was renamed the Virginia League of Women Voters.

Sadly, Lila was too ill to go to the polls in 1920 and was never able to cast the ballot she worked so hard to achieve. I think about Lila whenever I feel too lazy to get my rear to the polls during primary season. Every election counts. I'm sorry if I've taken up a lot of my posts with suffragettes, but I admire these women very much and knowing what they went through just so I could cast my vote for President, Governor, Mayor...makes me extraordinarily thankful. In fact, I used to love the little School House Rock cartoon about women's suffrage...




Hope you enjoyed my post about Lila today. Thanks you for dropping by. I appreciate your visit very much. If you are participating in the Big A to Z, please click here to check out the other amazing challengers.

19 comments:

  1. Don't apologise, suffrage is a very important issue. I get annoyed at people who can't be bothered to vote and like to remind them that people have died ... and are still dying ... for the right to vote and you shouldn't treat it so flippantly.
    have enjoyed visiting and reading about these women. thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martine. Your words made me smile and I appreciate the though very much. I'm so happy you are enjoying my posts.

      Delete
  2. No, they fought for a right they should've had all along.
    And thanks for mentioning my Ninja giveaway. 1500 more? I'll need to get a bigger blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! And I know you Ninja skills would work out a way to get a bigger blog to accommodate all those new followers. :)

      Delete
  3. Terrific post, and I really like your blog, too. So glad I stopped by.

    If you've a moment, take a look at my blog. I'm the author of the Bella and Britt series for kids.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I'm glad you've enjoyed my post. I will most definitely check out your site.

      Delete
  4. Your School House Rock video took me back to my childhood! I even bought the DVD to share with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I think we do share a TV brain. I, too, grew up watching all the School House Rocks and have shared them with my nephews.

      Delete
  5. such a sad irony that Lila didn't get to vote :( I'm one of those who believe that people should pass an intelligence test before being allowed to vote :) Sex is of no importance here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was too sad about Lila, my friend. And I hear you on the intelligence test to vote. It seems some people just vote out of ignorance at times, but that is the price for free elections, I guess.

      Delete
  6. A person well worth recognizing...and good for you for doing so! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D.L.! I appreciate the visit. Great hosting job for the A to Z. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Indeed, Sarah this would be a sad world without all of these brilliant and strong women.

      Delete
  8. Melissa, your mind and spirit are beautiful. Thanks for all the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much, Sloane. Your words have given me a huge boost today. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi, Melissa! Thanks for following my blog. I'm a new follower to yours too! :)

    Great post, enjoyed it tremendously. I love biographies, so this was a nice treat for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jack! Thank you so much. :)

      I'm really happy you enjoyed my post today. I love biographies myself.

      Delete
  10. Don't apologize! We're not "suffraging" too much reading about these incredible women - and Alex hits the nail on the head - it's a right all women should have always had. Sometimes I'm ashamed of my gender.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love comments, so please leave your thoughts. I may not always be able to answer directly, but please know that what you say is very important to me.